Facebook_off Twitter_off Pinterest Instagram_off Googleplus_off Youtube_off Emailnewsletter

Welcome to DogHeirs, Where Dogs Are Family! Log in or Sign Up


DogHeirs Tshirts

Foxtail grasses can be lethal to dogs

Dhicon_thumb By DogHeirs Team | June 11, 2012 | Comments (0)

Foxtail grass can seriously harm dogs

Foxtails are grasses with seed awns that are extremely dangerous to dogs. Foxtail awns are barbed, razor-sharp needles, designed to burrow into the ground with the seed. However, they can also burrow through a dog's skin and enter soft tissue where they can cause serious injury, infection and death.

close up of foxtailFoxtails are found most often on wild barley grasses and grow to be 2 to 5 feet in height and have a top with hairlike needles that ressemble a fox's tail. In some varieties the spikelets (top) look like common barley or rye grass.

Not all foxtails have lethal awns, but grasses such as foxtail barley and foxtail grass have particularly nasty awns. Other kinds of grass, such as Ripgut brome and Canada wild rye, also have potentially dangerous awns.

Like a bullet, a foxtail's torpedo-shaped awns can penetrate any part of a dog's body. The awns most commonly lodge in a dog's nose, ears, underbelly, rear end and paws. Long-haired dogs are particularly susceptible, as the barbed foxtail stays attached to the dog's fur and are difficult to spot in long fur.

Foxtail Barley (hordeum murinum)Once the foxtail awn begins traveling through an animal, they do not break down. A foxtail in a dog's ear can perforate an ear drum. In a paw, it can lacerate the pad and move into the limb. In the nose and mouth, foxtails can eventually migrate towards the lungs.

Muscular movements (or air flow, in the case of nostrils) can cause the foxtails to continue to burrow through soft tissues and organs, causing abscesses and infection that can lead to physical disruption and death.

Geographical Areas Affected

Foxtail grasses can be found throughout the world. The grass is not native to North America and is most commonly found in the Western United States, with the greatest foxtail problem occurring in California. Foxtails can be found in southern US states as well.

The grass most often invade disturbed sites. Like a weed, they grow at roadsides, landfills, fence rows, open fields, mountain trails, vacant lots and sometimes lawns.


Giant foxtailFoxtails are at their most deadly when they become dry and brittle, and the grass heads begin to separate. They cease to be a danger when the spikelets are mechanically abraded (say by farm tractors) or break down in the ground. In some habitats, foxtail can break down in a matter of weeks, but in others it can take months.

The best precaution to protect your dog is staying out of areas with foxtails. As there are many kinds of bromes and barleys it is best to ask your local veterinarian if any foxtail is found in your area and familiarize yourself with what foxtail looks like. 

If you discover you have them in your yard it is best to get rid of them completely. Once mowed, the spikelets (which contain the foxtail) need to be raked and thrown away.

If you take a dog to areas where foxtail grass is, make sure you thoroughly check him/her over after being outdoors. Pay especially close attention between the toes, around the ears, eyes and nose and underbelly.


If a dog has a foxtail lodged in between toes, in nostrils or ear canals they may start sneezing vigorously and pawing at the affected area. Sometimes the foxtail is not easily visible (if ingested or inhaled), other times there will be visible wounds.

paw with foxtaildog with foxtails on belly

foxtails can lodge into a dog's eyeSigns include:

  • excessive sneezing (foxtail in nose)
  • a lump on skin that is painful to touch
  • violent shaking of head (foxtail in ear)
  • pawing at eye
  • puss discharge from area on skin
  • visible abscess
  • bacterial infection (commonly Actinomyces bovis and Nocardia asteroides)

Abscess on paw from foxtailShould the awns move into the chest cavity of a dog, they can cause Pleural empyema (Pyothorax), which is an accumulation of pus in the pleural cavity, likely caused by the bacteria carried by an awn.

Wherever the foxtail is located, once it's through the skin of a dog it should be examined by a vet in order to make sure the entire awn is removed.


Once a foxtail has penetrated the skin and entered into muscular tissue or organs, removing it almost always requires an anesthetic and surgical procedure by a veterinarian. Abscesses may form, and may require draining and antibiotics will be prescribed for infection.

Dog that had surgery to remove foxtails from body
A German Shepherd needed surgery to remove and clear
large internal abscesses caused by foxtail. The dog
made a full recovery after surgery.


Copyright 2015 DogHeirs. All Rights Reserved.

View more articles in: Environmental Dangers

You may also like

Man laughed after his dog started crying when he dumped him at a shelter

A dog named Jack was dumped at the Carson Shelter in Gardena, California, just before Christmas and began to get scared when he saw his owner walking away. But it's what his heartless owner did next that shocked people at the shelter.  According to Saving Carson Shelter Dogs, witnesses were stunned after Jack's owner began to laugh after Jack, realizing he was being left behind, began to whimper. It's hard to believe someone could be...
Read more

TJ gets his wheels

Here is TJ's story:   http://youtu.be/Niup14QZo5c   Sometimes, rescue work can seem overwhelming. "Am I going to be able to help this poor dog?  Is he too far gone?"TJ was found living on the streets, a pile of garbage for his bed. He had mange and what hair he had left was matted and as hard as a turtle's shell.  TJ had no use of his back legs and was covered in feces.West Coast Animal...
Read more

Man rescues two Pit Bulls in desperate need of help

Warning: this article contains graphic photos that may disturb some readers. Last Friday, two Pit Bulls in desperate need of care were rescued after they were dumped at an abandoned home. Jimmy Arcadio Rivera, an administrator at Bakersfield Pitty Crew Rescue, told DogHeirs that the two dogs were “left to fend for themselves for who knows how many days or weeks." Jimmy says that he received an urgent call asking for help with the dogs...
Read more

Valley Fever (Coccidioidomycosis) in Dogs: Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Coccidioidomycosis, otherwise known as Valley Fever (and sometimes referred to as "California disease" or "Desert rheumatism"), is an infectious disease caused by a fungal organism called Coccidioides Immitis. This fungus is located in the soil of certain regions of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. Dogs primarily contract Valley Fever in the low desert regions of Arizona, New Mexico and southwestern Texas and the central deserts of California. Arizona sees 80% of all Valley...
Read more

LAPD Officers rescue and adopt badly injured Pit Bull left for dead

LAPD Officers saved the life of a badly injured Pit Bull after he had been struck by a car and left for dead. Officers Hererra, Lancaster and Cohen were heading back to the LAPD Southeast Division on January 10 when they noticed the brown Pit Bull lying on the sidewalk. They noticed his ribs were sticking out and assumed he was malnourished and needed food and water, so they drove to a nearby taco stand...
Read more

Comments on this Article

» View all comments

Add Your Comment!

Log in to leave a comment or Create an account

Spring Sale on T-Shirts

Must See

Follow DogHeirs

Also find us on: DogHeirs on Twitter DogHeirs on Pinterest DogHeirs on Instagram DogHeirs on Google+

Copyright 2015 DogHeirs