My name is Tara, and I am reaching out to anyone who can help me get my dog Duece back! Three weeks ago Sunday my Rottie became lethargic, and didn't eat dinner. I thought because we had been outside in the heat all day, that he just wasn't hungry. I had my husband call the vet following Monday morning and tell them Duece's symptoms. He was laying around, not eating and had thrown up. The vet said to monitor the behavior and call back if he got worse. He threw up once or twice during the day and when I got home from work that night I called the vet back and was told I could bring Duece in but they were going to charge me for an emergency visit. I took Duece to the vet with my 4 year old and 10 month old since my husband was working second shift. When the vet came out to see us and I explained what was going on they assumed because I had small children that the dog must have eaten something the kids had left on the floor and that was blocking his intestines and that he needed to be xrayed immediately. I explained multiple times I have a 10 month old baby who can also choke so I don't leave anything on the floor. I had the xrays done and when the vet came back she said she believed something was lodged in his intestine and that he would need and ultrasound and emergency surgery. I asked to see the xrays and the vet responded by saying "are you familiar with looking at dog xrays?" After looking at the xrays and I asked what the next steps would be and what costs where involved. She stated an ultrasound was approximately $500 but that he needed emergency surgery and that would be no less than $3000. I asked if he was going to be ok after surgery and she said depending on how bad the object tore his intestines, they didn't know. I explained that we didn't have that kind of money. We have three kids. The vet then said well if you don't have the money you can take out a credit card or put him down. I again explained with having three kids I can't take out all kinds of debt and that I needed to talk to my husband. I requested the vet run an IV line into Duece so we could keep him hydrated overnight. The next morning Duece was worse so my husband called the vet and begged them to fix him, even saying if you will fix him you can keep him just don't make him suffer. The vet told us we had one hour to make a decision or Duece would die. The vet also suggested we turn him over to the Main Line Animal Rescue and that they would help fix Duece and adopt him out rather than us have to put him down. We couldn't stand the thought of putting a 10 month old puppy down. My husband turned Duece over to the Metropolitan Vet and signed paperwork giving him to MLAR. We called Tuesday to check on him, and Wednesday. Wednesday night MLAR called my husband to update him. They said " Duece has nothing stuck in his intestines, they are totally clear. He has parvo." My husband asked how they knew he had parvo and they stated it was a simple blood test. My husband said we want our dog back, we only signed him over because we were told he needed a surgery that costs thousands of dollars. They told us we couldn't have him back and we clearly weren't good dog owners if we weren't willing to pay for his surgery. I love my dogs, but I have three children, and I don't think how much money I have has anything to do with how much I love and care for my dogs. He was up to date on shots, had his license, was clean and well cared for. This is my families dog, my childrens dog and we gave him to these people under false pretenses and we want him back. I am asking for any help anyone can provide to bring Duece home to my family where he belongs rather than have him sitting in a shelter scared and alone. Duece is the best Rottie 3 little kids could ask for. He was born 8 days after my youngest son, and came to our home last Christmas at 8 weeks old. He has grown up with my 3 kids and we are the only family he knows. Please help me get my dog back, please!
View more articles in: Community News