Dog Accidentally Starts House Fire Trying to Steal Pancakes

A family’s home was recently set on fire by their Golden Retriever stealing left over pancakes off a stove. The Golden Retriever jumped onto the stove to grab the food but accidentally turned on the gas.

The dog returns to the couch where another dog is sitting and watch as smoke fills the room and the flames from the stove trigger the emergency fire alarm.

dog causes fire

Fortunately, fire responders were able to extinguish the fire before it spread beyond the stove.

The scary incident was caught all on video by the homeowner’s emergency alarm system and was shared by the Southwick Fire Department as a warning to dog lovers to be careful with their stoves when they are not around.

Dogs unwittingly start up to 1000 fires a year. But these fires can easily be prevented if pet parents take a few precautions.

First, never leave food on the stove. Dogs, no matter what size, will find a way to get at it. Second, make sure you have functioning fire alarms. “In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage,” Soutwick firefighters write.

Finally, look into safety covers for your stove controls. This will protect your stove from any accidental button pushing by pets or children. You can also simply remove the stove knobs before you leave the house.

With stove or cook tops being the number one appliance involved in pets accidentally starting a fire, it’s most certainly worth the extra effort to be careful.

You can watch the pancake-stealing Golden Retriever in the full video below.

Alarm Works

Alarms Work!We would like to thank a local resident for sharing this video. First, we always caution about putting items on the stove. In this case, the family pet decided to help themselves to some leftover pancakes while the owners were away. Unfortunately, the dog hit the ignition button on the gas stove. Within minutes you will see the item on stove begin to ignite. In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage. If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls.

Posted by Southwick Fire Department on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Leave your vote

891 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 2

Upvotes: 2

Upvotes percentage: 100.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Hey there!


Forgot password?

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.


Processing files…