Facebook_off Twitter_off Pinterest Instagram_off Googleplus_off Youtube_off Emailnewsletter

Welcome to DogHeirs, Where Dogs Are Family! Log in or Sign Up


DogHeirs Tshirts

NeighborHound Alerts

Blue-green algae kills two dogs after swimming in Salamonie Reservoir

When: 2012-07-31 18:05:00 -0700
Where: Salamonie Reservoir 9214 Lost Bridge Road West, Andrews, IN, United States


Salamonie Reservoir in Indiana has toxic blue-green algae. One family recently reported that their four dogs got sick after swimming in the waters and two die from exposure to the algae.

According to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, many Indiana lakes and reservoirs have possibly high levels of the cyanobacteria which can cause nausea, skin irritation and in some cases, death, to animals that swim or ingest the water.

The toxic blooms are often cyclical and tend to occur during warmer temperatures. It can appear greener than normal algae and can show up as scum on top of the water or sit below the water. Although it may not be always visible and levels can vary day to day.

Since the dog's death, the DNR has since put signs – redesigned with larger lettering – in the affected area plus other remote areas in case visitors come in through somewhere other than the main entrance, which has signage already.

Authorities caution recreational users and dog owners to check signage at parks and waterways for warnings on toxic algae before entering the waters.

Read more about Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) and How it Can Harm Your Dog.

Spring Sale on T-Shirts

Join DogHeirs To Keep Dogs Safe

NeighborHound Watch Register with DogHeirs to become a part of an invaluable network of dog lovers helping to protect our best four-legged friends from dangers and to reunite missing dogs with their families through the NeighborHound Watch.

Copyright 2015 DogHeirs