That's what happened in on November 5, 2011 in Gloucestershire, UK. Raymond Mould fired his employee, Ivor James, after James gave Mould's dog some lamb gristle. The dog, a Labrador named Merlin, was rushed to the emergency hospital, where a veterinarian found a lamb bone inside Merlin. James denied feeding a bone to the Merlin and claimed unfair dismissal.
Said Mould: "I was absolutely furious that he could have done such a thing in the light of Merlin's long-term medical history. He was aware that Merlin had problems from eating conkers that had lacerated his intestine."
Giving evidence to a tribunal judge in Birmingham, UK, James told the hearing: "I gave a piece of meat to the dog. The dog was sat there begging so I gave him a piece of lamb meat. It was just what was left when I finished my dinner. I didn't consider it was a bone - as far as I was concerned it was a piece of fatty meat."
A judge ruled in James favor early in May, 2012. The judge determined that Mould acted unreasonably by dismissing James. Mould will now have to pay compensation in an amount to be determined by the judge.
If this was your dog, what would you do?
Answer more: Questions