Cocktail sausages laced with slug pellets have been found along a popular dog walking trail in the British town of Hailsham in East Sussex.
Hailsham Police have issued a warning to dog owners to be careful after the poisoned meat was discovered by a member of the public on Cuckoo Trail in Hailsham on Wednesday April 8, 2015.
Hailsham Police released photographs of the poisoned sausages (see below).
An RSPCA spokesman announced, "We are deeply concerned about any spate of suspected poisonings, but especially one where evidence suggests it may be deliberate. Animals, and especially dogs, are often extremely curious and will be drawn to food. Ingesting just the smallest amounts of some substances can lead to kidney failure and death."
"If anyone suspects that their dog has been poisoned they must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, they should take a sample of what the dog has eaten."
Anyone with possible information regarding the contaminated sausages should contact Hailsham Police or the RSPCA’s national cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.
Training your dog to "leave it" and drop objects on command is a great precaution against threats such as these. Read our article on how to train your dog to drop objects on command here.
Copyright 2015 DogHeirs. All Rights Reserved.
View more articles in: Advocacy and Animal Welfare