Facebook_off Twitter_off Pinterest Instagram_off Googleplus_off Youtube_off Emailnewsletter

Welcome to DogHeirs, Where Dogs Are Family! Log in or Sign Up

Dogheirslogo




Salmon Poisoning Disease / Fish Disease in Dogs

Dhicon_thumb By DogHeirs Team | January 10, 2012 | Comments (0)

When you go fishing, or you purchase a raw salmon, think twice before sharing it with your dog.

Salmon Poisoning Disease (or fish disease) is a rare, but potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream in freshwater to breed such as trout, shad and sturgeon) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless, however, when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca, salmon poisoning, or fish poisoning, can occur. 

Dog and fishDogs (and other canids) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. Cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly without consequence. Salmon poisoning of dogs occurs most commonly on the Pacific Coast and in the Cascade mountain range.

To avoid infection, thoroughly cook the fish before feeding it to your dog. This will kill the parasite and protect your dog. 

Symptoms

Generally clinical signs of Salmon Poisoning appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish. If untreated, death usually occurs within 14 days of eating the infected fish. Ninety percent of dogs showing symptoms die if they are not treated. Common symptoms of salmon poisoning include:

  • vomiting
  • lack of appetite
  • fever
  • diarrhea
  • weakness
  • swollen lymph nodes
  • dehydration

If you have fed your dog raw fish and he/she starts to displays any of these symptoms, take your pet to a vet for diagnosis. The condition is diagnosed by a fecal sample or a needle sample of a swollen lymph node. The parasite's eggs are detected as they are shed in the feces. The rickettsial organism can be detected in a needle sample from a swollen lymph node. The combination of symptoms, and the presence of parasite eggs or the rickettsial organisms, are enough to justify treatment.

Antibiotics and a wormer will likely be prescribed for treatment. Thankfully, dogs recover quickly from this type of infection if diagnosed in time. The antibiotic kills the rickettsial organisms that cause the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite.


Copyright 2014 DogHeirs. All Rights Reserved.


View more articles in: Infectious Diseases

You may also like

Toxic Foods for Dogs - Meats & Fish

Drinks & Beans | Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts | Meats & Fish | Ingredients Many people indulge dogs by feeding them table scraps now and then. Dogs are also experts in sniffing out smelly, tasty food lying around and quickly gulping it down before you can snatch it away. So knowing what foods are toxic to dogs is helpful in preventing an accidental poisoning. If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic food, seek...
Read more

Lungworm / French Heartworm: Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

French Heartworm or Lungworm, as it is commonly referred to in the United Kingdom, is caused by a parasitic nematode (roundworm or lungworm), Angiostrongylus vasorum. The roundworm infects dogs and other canine species, such as foxes and wolves, and causes canine angiostrongylosis. Dogs of all ages and breeds can become infected with French Heartworm / Lungworm. However, younger dogs seem to be more prone to picking up the parasite. Finding Angiostrongylus vasorum in a dog...
Read more

Heartworm: How One Mosquito Bite Can Kill Your Dog

The Life Cycle of Heartworm Heartworm is a parasitic round worm (Dirofilaria immitis) which lives in the heart and lungs of dogs and occasionally in cats, ferrets and other mammals. Mosquitos transmit the parasite from dog to dog. The parasite is a major problem in many regions of the North America and in other countries, especially in areas where mosquitoes are present year-round and areas with warm temperatures. It takes 6 to 7 months after...
Read more

Fleas: how to identify, treat and prevent fleas from infesting your dog

Preventing an outbreak of fleas on your dog can save you a lot of headaches and hassle, as fleas are not only an annoyance, but they can also transmit disease. If fleas begin to infest your dog, they can spread to other pets and to people. If they start to spread in your home, getting rid of them is a major undertaking. Unlike some pests that can be found around the home, fleas cause discomfort...
Read more

Dog catches fish crossing the road (VIDEO)

Watch a dog catch a fish! The reason that salmon were crossing the road was because of major flooding near Seattle, Washington state caused by heavy rain.    
Read more

Comments on this Article

» View all comments

Add Your Comment!

Log in to leave a comment or Create an account

Must See

Questions About Infectious Diseases

Follow DogHeirs

Also find us on: DogHeirs on Twitter DogHeirs on Pinterest DogHeirs on Instagram DogHeirs on Google+

Copyright 2014 DogHeirs